May the wind stay at my back and may angels give me wings to fly.

I started avidly running in April of 2007, 8 weeks after my little boy was born. I was only running about 15 miles a week just to lose baby weight but a friend of mine was thinking of running the Honolulu Marathon. I made the bold move of doing it with her with the simple goal of just to finish. I finished my first marathon in 2008 with a time of 5:13. In 2009 I started running more miles, up to 40 a week when my schedule would allow that much. I signed up for my second Honolulu marathon and finished with a time of 4:48. That was with only 6 weeks of training, two of them being taper weeks. I finished with tears of joy and one other thing, the strong desire to run every runner's dream...BOSTON! I have some real good days and some real bad days but I hope someone finds inspiration in my spirit and strength. If you dig deep enough you will find the strength to do whatever your heart desires. "Don't follow your dreams...CHASE THEM!"

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Ford Island Bridge 10k race 2010

Well, I had two goals in mind today and I knew I would meet at least one of them. Keep my pace under 9, preferrable between 8:30-8:45, and/or run it in 52:30. Well, I met the goal pace but missed my goal time. That's okay though because I know I did my best today.

I woke up at 5am with finally a full 8.5 hours of uninterrupted sleep. The past two nights I've been woken up every couple of hours by the kids for some reason or another so last night I went to bed at 8:30 and was fast asleep in a matter of minutes. I woke up with a positive mindset and refreshed. It was rainy and a little cool out before the race started but the rained stopped and the weather was beautiful but a little windy. Before I got out of the car I prayed for strength, endurance, and courage to fight and push myself.

I started up in the front of the pack with the elites just to find my own road and I did and it was great! I stayed focused and ran my own race. I held my 8:30-8:45 pace for 98% of the run. I got slowed a little when we hit the runway due to wind but not too much, only to about a 9:09 but I got myself back under that in no time. I lost time again going back across the bridge from wind and pushing up the hill and slowed to a 9:44 at one point. I was not happy about that at all but made sure to pick the pace back up once I got to the top and had some downhill slope. Once I rounded the turn for the finish line I just went as fast as I could trying to avoid any dips or holes in the ground.

Garmin time was 53:55, not sure of chip time yet. I bet my time from last year by 2 minutes 51 seconds. It was a good day and a good race. Next up for me in a 5k in May then a half marathon in June.

My overall pace was 30 seconds faster than last year. Training is paying off! Now to train harder.
Lap 1: 8:37
Lap 2: 8:35
Lap 3: 8:42
Lap 4: 8:46(wind runway)
Lap 5: 8:51
Lap 6: 9:02 (bridge/wind)
Lap 7: .2 miles 7:53

I live. I dream. I run.

1 comment: