May the wind stay at my back and may angels give me wings to fly.

I started avidly running in April of 2007, 8 weeks after my little boy was born. I was only running about 15 miles a week just to lose baby weight but a friend of mine was thinking of running the Honolulu Marathon. I made the bold move of doing it with her with the simple goal of just to finish. I finished my first marathon in 2008 with a time of 5:13. In 2009 I started running more miles, up to 40 a week when my schedule would allow that much. I signed up for my second Honolulu marathon and finished with a time of 4:48. That was with only 6 weeks of training, two of them being taper weeks. I finished with tears of joy and one other thing, the strong desire to run every runner's dream...BOSTON! I have some real good days and some real bad days but I hope someone finds inspiration in my spirit and strength. If you dig deep enough you will find the strength to do whatever your heart desires. "Don't follow your dreams...CHASE THEM!"

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Back from quad healing time

So this week was my first week back from taking some time off to let my right quad have some rest time. I had a pinch that wouldn't quit so I just worked on upper body and core for two weeks. I logged 64 miles this week, 29 of them running, rest cycling. I had to keep the mileage low this week to ease back into the groove of things. After the antsy time off I was happy to get back into a routine. School starts for me the 23rd so my running days are only Tues, Thurs, Sat, and Sundays now with long runs on Sunday. Crosstraining will be Tues and Thurs at the gym after I do my morning run of speedwork on those two days. I'm going to have a hectic schedule this semester so I hold my body and mind hold up.

I've started taking a vitamin to help out, B complex with Vit C and it seems to have helped by keeping me from having the need for a nap. I've also made my own mix of smoothie since the store bought ones tend to turn my stomach. I use 2 bananas, ice, some apple juice, and dumped 1 1/2 scoops of whey and a scoop of my recoverite in it. Tastes great and it makes about 24 oz so I drink the whole thing.

My pace at the beginning of the week was a cautious one hanging around the 9-9:30 range but by Thursday I was off like a prom dress again. Saturday I had my best 5 miles ever with an avg pace of 8:22. My long run though still needs work. The pace is there but I have to get my body used to it so I can stop the breaks. It weighs on my mind for race day but I still have 4 months to go so I'm not getting too mental about it. Instead, I'm trying to figure out how to overcome it. Today's long run was short by 3 miles but still went well, avg pace 8:30, but...with 4 breaks. That's not going to take me to a BQ... not unless I can keep cooking along at that pace. Just something I have to work on. I get to start strength training for my legs again this Thursday so hopefully after a couple weeks I will notice less stopping.

Other than that I'm doing pretty good and staying on top of my core workouts. My planks are just over 3 minutes now and I always hold the position to see how much longer I can handle it. I made it to 3:30 once. Yoga is working nicely for me. I enjoy it and the way it makes my muscles feel after a run or at the end of my day is nice. A nice good stretch for me.

Tomorrow I get a nice med deep tissue massage that my body is in much need of and I cannot wait! I haven't had one since my groin injury last year! My muscles will be thanking me, well, until I have to do Fartleks on Tuesday morning...

Overall, successful week, now on to the next one and hopefully better!

I live. I dream. I run.

No comments:

Post a Comment